Monday 26 July 2010

Desert ship

A high, narrow wooden walkway led to an old wooden structure, perhaps a ship. It seemed to be beside the sea or the sand but it was very bright and it was hard to see for all the light. The tide may have been out, or it may have been in the desert. I couldn't be sure if the inhabitants were lawyers or lifeboatmen. They gave the impression of carrying on an ancient, venerable tradition. Something more than just their lifetimes had been dedicated to this. Someone described it to me as a world apart. I was unsure what to do, or how to behave. It was very dry and hot and there were drinks on the table - orange juice and something that looked like beer. I didn't know which, if any, to take. It wasn't a matter of following specific set rules, but of finding how to live in the right way, and I didn't know how. I moved from the brightness a little into the shade. I realised that the knowledge I had was of very little use here. The inhabitants continued with their business in the area where I was sitting and in an area below two of them were discussing an arcane point that I couldn't understand. They were polite but took very little notice of my presence among them.

This dream seemed significant enough to make me start recording my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment